Remove this ad

The 13fhApostle

Hall of Famer

Site Admin

Lead

Jan 28 13 12:24 AM

Tags : :

I know everybody has their own opinions on sliders and such. We will NOT be making any sliders until after week 3 games are played. This will give us enough data to see how the stats are looking, one game (or week) can be very misleading.

Feel free to comment in this thread your thoughts on he game play, please DO NOT make any particular slider suggestions here. If you think there are too many sacks just say that.

Undoubtedly whatever tweaks if any we make to the sliders after week 3 will not make everybody happy. That's just an imperfect world for an imperfect game.

After week 3, we will analyze the stats and consider the comments before making any changes (they may or may not agree with each other).

Dr. Chuck

Chicago Bears
Season 1: 8-8
Season 2: 12-4
Season 3: 5-11
Season 4: 13-3
Season 5: 10-6

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

StrokeMyBigEgo

#2 [url]

Jan 28 13 11:38 AM

Re: Game Play Comments

Yes there were lots of dropped picks, but really shouldn't that be what we want? I understand that the players wouldn't drop those balls normally, but they also wouldn't be in the perfect spot to make those plays all the time either. I think we should be aiming for more pass deflections than interceptions.

Seattle Seahawks
2013 NFC West Champions

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 28 13 11:43 AM

StrokeMyBigEgo wrote:
Yes there were lots of dropped picks, but really shouldn't that be what we want? I understand that the players wouldn't drop those balls normally, but they also wouldn't be in the perfect spot to make those plays all the time either. I think we should be aiming for more pass deflections than interceptions.

agree........but my gut feeling is that we may have went too far in the other direction....... have to wait until all of the numbers get crunched to know for sure.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 28 13 3:10 PM

I agree that there were too many dropped picks. My team had between 5-8, would have been nice to have gotten one more pick. But we'll see after 3 games

TN Titans - Superbowl or bust

Stephen

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 28 13 5:19 PM

I agree with beardown. I'm cool with the interceptions as they are. Like most of you, my guys dropped several that could have made a big difference in the game, but that's why they play defense and not offense. My main concern thus far would be the total yardage produced by each team. I'm not sure what our league average is compared to the NFL average, but it seems like people have been posting some crazy numbers so far.

Quote    Reply   

MarkCam24

#7 [url]

Jan 28 13 5:46 PM

I wish there could be a slider that allowed the defenders to catch pretty much all the "easy" picks (sitting in front of a hitch route or running in front of the receiver on a slant) and drop most of the "tough" ones (like one on one deep with good receivers - receivers should be coming up with the ball more often than the CBs and they don't) and completely eliminate the ones where the LBs jump up off an imaginary trampoline with their go-go-gadget arms to make sick plays or when a dude catches one when he wasn't even looking at the ball. If there is a slider for that, sign me up for that regardless of how many picks it causes.

'13 AFC E Champs 12-4
'14 AFC E Champs 16-0

PB: Manuel (2-QB(2), OROY), Spiller (RB), Johnson (2-WR), Goodwin (2), Chandler, Glenn (OL), Urbik, Wood (2), Hairston, Sanders, M. Williams (DL), McCord, Dareus, D. Williams (2 DROY, DB)

Alonso DPOY

Quote    Reply   

The 13fhApostle

Hall of Famer

#8 [url]

Jan 28 13 6:19 PM

One thing that annoyed me with the past slider set is I could hit a WR with 80 CTH in the numbers and he drops it, but if I hit a CB with 45 CTH in the number he would catch it. It kind of felt like the CTH number for a CB and a WR didn't mean the same thing.

Beardown, I hope you didn't spend too much time on your math, because I had done it all for you (on a per team per game basis)

nfl-2012-season-to-nodbfootball-season-2-stat-comparison-t1264308.html

Wunder is right in that we will never get our INTs to match the exact number of the NFL. NFL QBs are just better than we are. I rarely make it through 2 reads before doing something stupid where an NFL QB can get through 4 reads and start over sometimes. Heck to see how terrible I am just look at the first pick I threw against Carolina, I had a RB WIDE open and I never even saw him.

These trends probably won't hold over 3 weeks, but after 14 games

INTs are down (by 33%) from last season but they are still twice the NFL average.

Total Offensive Yards are up (mainly from passing)

Sacks are down slightly.

Points scored are also up.

I expect there will be some leveling of these number, a team that put up 500 yds this week might be playing a stronger defense this week and will only put up 200, stuff like that. While I do think its fun to look at numbers and stats try not to read too much into them at this point. With that said it is unlikely that we won't have to adjust at least on slider.

I do chuckle a little as I read these comments because last season it was complaining about too many INTs and now its not enough. Just goes to you show its impossible to make everybody happy

Dr. Chuck

Chicago Bears

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 28 13 11:08 PM

dahibachi wrote:
Madden is definitely far from perfect. I don't believe poor decision making is completely to blame. I also believe that there inevitably comes a stretch in a game where CBs become psychics and know routes WRs run before they do. In the last game i played in another league, I had slant patterns on and both CBs immediately jumped to the inside without hesitation. On the next pass play, I had a WR who faked the the slant and curled back to the outside. The CB remained on the outside without biting on the slant. On that same play, the WR on the other side ran a hitch. I threw the ball before the WR made his break. (the defense was man to man), and the CB was jumping the hitch before I even released the ball, but it was too late for me because I already made my mind up to throw it. I also feel like sometimes the CB has the advantage one on one with a WR. If I have Calvin Johnson, unless you are Darrelle Revis, there's no way a CB should win a jump ball against Calvin. Break up the pass... sure. But not win the ball. Oh well... it's Madden.

Couldn't have said it better

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 29 13 1:07 AM

Ok, just played my week 2 game (kind of wish there was a slider for onside kicks, lol) but ints felt good, i didnt have as many drops as last week.

However, sack numbers will be blown out of porportion this week, as i had 5 and the cardinals had 9. The disturbing thing for me was it seemed like I had no time at all, and he was playing 6-7 guys in coverage. Honestly, 3 of my sacks were coverage sacks that were normal, 2 were pretty quick. this seems like an aberation, but im curious to see how the rest of the league stacks up.

Stephen

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

The 13fhApostle

Hall of Famer

#11 [url]

Jan 29 13 11:53 AM

In the INTs department I had absolutely no trouble throwing them this week.

Dr. Chuck

Chicago Bears

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jan 29 13 12:13 PM

The 13fhApostle wrote:

I was trying to, but nobody could catch Tebow's ducks this week. Especially my guys.

Quote    Reply   

The 13fhApostle

Hall of Famer

#13 [url]

Jan 29 13 12:17 PM

X UT Vols X wrote:
The 13fhApostle wrote:

I was trying to, but nobody could catch Tebow's ducks this week. Especially my guys.

I like hearing that, I'm hoping its a little harder to throw, especially for the crappy guys. I overthrew a couple receivers today, going to have to learn some touch I reckon.

Dr. Chuck

Chicago Bears

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 29 13 12:21 PM

The 13fhApostle wrote:
X UT Vols X wrote:
The 13fhApostle wrote:

I like hearing that, I'm hoping its a little harder to throw, especially for the crappy guys. I overthrew a couple receivers today, going to have to learn some touch I reckon.

Yeah but it didn't look like superstar QB Nick Foles was having too hard of a time haha. Tebow just gets too excited about being excited (YouTube Tebow is excited to be a Jet if you don't get the reference, it's worth it).

Quote    Reply   

Steelosick

#15 [url]

Jan 29 13 5:36 PM

G3t Shot wrote:
Ok, just played my week 2 game (kind of wish there was a slider for onside kicks, lol) but ints felt good, i didnt have as many drops as last week.

However, sack numbers will be blown out of proportion this week, as i had 5 and the cardinals had 9. The disturbing thing for me was it seemed like I had no time at all, and he was playing 6-7 guys in coverage. Honestly, 3 of my sacks were coverage sacks that were normal, 2 were pretty quick. this seems like an aberation, but im curious to see how the rest of the league stacks up.

The cardinals have a sorta nano blitz (no accusation there, just saying it was fast) up the middle with a fast lb. They have 3-4 personnel and he runs a 46 (the 4 down linemen and SS as an extra lb 46) and blitz middle with zone or man behind it, and deep middle coverage. Its not good for short routes. He had a few sacks against me like that. I can see him having high sack numbers.

From Chitown to Miami fool.

Da Bears --- The U is back!

Quote    Reply   

MarkCam24

#16 [url]

Jan 30 13 3:19 PM

After 3 games (2 vs User and 1 vs Computer after a late disconnect) I'm of the following opinion on the changes:

Offense is way too easy. Score and yards are way up and I think it is a direct result of the CBs not responding as quick and they used to and not punishing for bad decisions. Offenses are getting away with a lot of throws that they shouldn't get away with. The CPU picks are basically non-existent as they almost always drop balls right in their hands. User picks seem to be about right. If you're there and make the right play you pick it off 50-66% of the time, drop it 20-30% of the time and blow it completely the rest of the time. I am a firm believer that at least 75% of the INTs thrown last season were a direct result of not reading the D properly and throwing to covered guys, 15-20% were because of great User plays, and 5-10% were just crazy plays by the CPU that shouldn't have been made. Granted, I'm fortunate enough to have one of the better QBs in the game, but after starting off throwing a ton of picks, I hardly threw any the second half of the season and playoffs just by practicing, making better decisions, reading Ds and throwing the ball away or taking a sack. I would say I was averaging 1 INT or less the second half of the season last year.

To me, I would much rather see high INT numbers than see 500-600 yards per game and scores regularly exceeding 40 and even 50 points. I'm not sure exactly what sliders there are available and I'm away from the Box to look them up, but if there were a slider that increases the number of passes CBs break up I would increase that significantly and if there was one for their catching I would increase that slightly.

As far as vs. CPU games go, they are still pretty bad but are improved. They made a few nice plays in my game, they were few and far between and they couldn't stop me at all. However, they did make some ridiculous interceptions with LBs jumping off imaginary trampolines and using their go go gadget arms to pick off a couple passes.

'13 AFC E Champs 12-4
'14 AFC E Champs 16-0

PB: Manuel (2-QB(2), OROY), Spiller (RB), Johnson (2-WR), Goodwin (2), Chandler, Glenn (OL), Urbik, Wood (2), Hairston, Sanders, M. Williams (DL), McCord, Dareus, D. Williams (2 DROY, DB)

Alonso DPOY

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 31 13 3:12 PM

beardown1019 wrote:
An alternative to changing settings would be to turn a
ccelerated clock on / reduced time. I you set it to 20 seconds it reduces gap the offensive numbers down. Plus it will make the games a little faster.

I think most ppl would agree the game length is good. I know the snap counts in my game are always spot on. And its tough as is to get seasonal and sometimes weekly goals in.

Stephen

Quote    Reply   

StrokeMyBigEgo

#18 [url]

Jan 31 13 4:54 PM

The main problem I have with reducing snap count, is that it would pretty much remove any chance of getting tackle goals for LBs and DTs. It is hard enough to get the tackles for one guy now. If we had less plays, it would be even harder to progress LBs than it is now.

Seattle Seahawks
2013 NFC West Champions

Quote    Reply   

The 13fhApostle

Hall of Famer

#19 [url]

Jan 31 13 9:57 PM

beardown1019 wrote:

Also, there are too many fumbles.

No different than last season. Use the cover ball button.

Dr. Chuck

Chicago Bears

Quote    Reply   

StrokeMyBigEgo

#20 [url]

Jan 31 13 10:21 PM

I think that what looks like an increase in fumbles, is actually caused by the decrease in INTs. Less INTs could be leading to longer drives/more chances for fumbles and it also makes the fumbles stand out more.

Seattle Seahawks
2013 NFC West Champions

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help